Friday, August 23, 2013

Designing a Chair #1

I need a thinking chair.  All I want is a comfortable chair for my office that I can use for reading, thinking, drawing, and occasionally playing a guitar.  There are literally thousands of chairs out there ... so why am I having such a tough time finding the right one?

I want something modern, relatively affordable (which is probably a large hurdle), and something that connects with me.  A lot of modern chairs are wildly imaginative and interesting but so many look hideous or I would never be caught dead in.  Here are a few such examples:


Needless to say, none of these will do ...


Initially I thought I wanted a very simple leather lounge chair, but recently I've been called toward something with more style.  I'm absolutely torn.  The Eames chair and ottoman is exquisite and equally expensive, but the legs feel too corporate.  The Le Corbusier LC2 1-seater looks stupid, but is surprisingly comfortable, which has me interested.  I've been very intrigued by a couple Milo Baughman chairs, including an inventively simple reclining masterpiece, but it looks a bit dated.

I want something simple yet iconic.  What makes an iconic chair?  I feel like most the famous chairs were been designed 50 years ago.  I believe an iconic chair is something that looks as contemporary now as it did 50 years ago.

When do you think this chair was designed?

If you are a connoisseur of furniture, you probably already know this is the LC2 designed by the great architect Le Corbusier.  I absolutely hated this chair until I sat in one.  Now the more I look at it, I can't tell if it was designed in 2012 or 1934.  That's iconic to me.



When was it designed?  Survey says ... 1928. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_confort)

Here are a couple other uses of this masterpiece that you may remember:




Here is Steve Jobs presenting the iPad to the world.  He is sitting in an LC3, which is a bit wider than the LC2, has a lower back, and is considered a bit more comfortable.






You may recall the Maxell commercials with the guy sitting in front of the TV as the amazing quality of the sound is blowing him away.  He is sitting in a LC2 chair.  Designed in the 20s and still at the cutting edge of cool in the 80s and the 2000s.

While the LC2 is a beautiful chair, try playing a guitar in it.  Seriously, try it.  That might be a deal breaker for me personally.




So I started looking at some Milo Baughman chairs.  This recliner is lovely, but again, doesn't do much for guitar playing.  It comes in other colors besides orange (thankfully)


The foot rest retracts under the chair in a surprisingly compact way which gives this chair a low profile.


The wood is beautiful and ergonomically designed for arm comfort.  The back is tall enough to rest your head, although this gives away it's time period.  It is very comfortable to sit in, however when I sit in it, it doesn't feel like I'm sitting on $2500.

Again, a tough position to play the guitar in because of the extended wood arms.  Do you really need arms that extend out that far?





My friend Jeff Walker introduced me to the Eames chair, which he has boldly made a staple of his home decor.  This masterpiece has exquisite comfort and craftsmanship, which is paid for by the $5,000 price tag.  This is another iconic beauty which stands the test of time ...
... but I don't really connect to the legs.  Legs are important to me.  If a chair is made up of a back, a seat, arms (optional) and legs, then legs are 25-33% of a chair.  They deserve some character.





This Raleigh chair is a nice combination of style, comfort, and functionality.  It's upholstery makes it soft all over, while the arms are low enough to accommodate basic guitar playing and relaxed elbow position.  It's a little wider than my body, but that's probably not a bad thing.  




I love the slender legs which give it a vintage timeless feel.  It has a very unique profile too.  

Very enticing, even at $2,600.






I'm becoming more and more drawn to wooden arms.  Something about them is classic, almost 60s vintage, while maintaining an organic warmth.  Here are a few of my favorites so far, though none of them are quite perfect:

Kennedy Chair - Very vintage 60's look.  The faceted look (the sharp angles rather than curves) give it a striking appearance.  The arms extend out so far that guitar playing would be near impossible. The wood doesn't seem particularly beautiful in this finish.


Adrian Arm Chair - beautiful and comfortable chair, but the arms are a bit too predominant.

























Draper Sofa - This looks classic and timeless.  I'm not sure if I like the legs.
























Klum Chair - not to far off from an adirondack chair, which is nice but not very high class.  It seems more like a patio chair than an office chair.



















Vladimir Kagan Chair - a little too relaxed for my purposes and absolutely no chance of playing a guitar.





French Lounge Chair - stunning wood/leather combination.  Low arms make this chair very functional for studying.






















Franz Chair - I don't like the upholstery, but the arms and shape is interesting.

























Ibiza Chair - This chair would be ideal for playing guitar, but not having arms may cause for arm fatigue when reading and drawing.  My friend Ty Taylor has the white leather version of this classic in his home and I do like it ... but I don't think it's my style.  I mention it though because it is such a classic chair.


















CONCLUSION ... I'm going to design my own chair. Stay Tuned.

Which of these chairs do you like the best???


No comments:

Post a Comment