Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lace Lounge #1

I had an idea for a chair where it is a combination of sling and wood. If I cut 2 identical chair shapes out of plywood they could function as two vertical support planks for a seating apparatus. Here is the shape I started with:

The goal is to take these two forms, separate them with a few wood ribs and basically shoelace small nylon rope across the top to create a surface that will be the resting place of your seat and back. The structural ribs should be low profile, but structural enough to support the dozens of taut cords which will be Subsequently pulled tighter when an adult sits on them. 

In order to maintain structural integrity with the added pressure, the holes which will guide the rope won't be drilled right next to each other, but rather will be drilled at an angle to each other to spread out the surface tension over more board space. 

I started with an ottoman to see how well it turns out. This should give you a little better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. In this photo, I have built the structure but only begun to thread the rope through the eye-holes. The idea is to have the rope extend up and over to create a comfortable surface for your feet. 

I'll update as I make progress. The plywood I'm using is pretty cheap so the holes I'm drilling look pretty crummy (thanks to splintering outer layers). Once I get the format down, I'm thinking bamboo plywood is in order. Put a sheet of bamboo plywood under a CNC machine and cut out all the pieces. Right now my skills with a jigsaw are leaving me with crooked lines and non-parallel surfaces. Here are a couple more photos of the ottoman progress:



No comments:

Post a Comment